This is an example of a black and white conversion using Lab L channel. I think the L channel conversion works well for this picture since there’s lots of contrast and very little color.
Steps in Photoshop
- Select the Lightness Channel
- Select to sharpen the photo.
- Select . This will remove the A and B channels.
- Select to convert to RGB.
- Add a curves layer
- Download and install curves presets. This is a curve preset I found that will remove the bluish cast from black and white images.
- Click Load Curves Preset. Select “warm midtones” action
- Adjust brightness and contrast.